Friday, March 19, 2010

Where there is no doctor

One of the most memorable and interesting thing happened during my stay here is using the "Where there is no doctor, a village health care handbook" by David Werner.

The village we are involved with has no doctor obviously and one of the student is terribly sick. I heard they already brought him to town and was already checked by a medical doctor twice. But the problem is the kid is not getting better, They said we was bitten by some insect or sort, he went to swim in the river one day and went home sick but they don't see any bite from the swollen feet.

We visited him once and from the looks of it, he really needs to be brought into the hospital. But our team leader visited them again yesterday and they said it's getting better, he has no fever anymore but the feet is still swollen.

So guess what, we search the said book on what to do with the swollen feet, Praise God for books like that, I browsed it and saw a lot of home remedies I think I even saw home remedies for blackheads well maybe about skin and everything. So what they did, they brought the book in the kid's house and show the parents what to do. (I guess most of the parent will believe if they see the book) and suggested to do the same with thier son.

I have yet to see the kid again, I am not a health worker and I don't have much knowldege about it, I do hope and pray that it get better but I also hope for him to be checked again by a professional doctor. But money is a big thing here and not just that.... security is the biggest thing.

I really do not know how they survive the tough life but they are surviving.

Please remember that sick boy in your prayers tonight. It would be a big help.

No comments: